Friday, April 8, 2022

Walking Clown [Computer Graphics] Description:

When tinkering around with the Unity engine, I needed something in order to experiment with sprites. I had previously created a concept sketch for a player character, so I decided to use it. The image was inconsistent and on a yellow page from a legal pad, but I figured it would do for the purpose of an early test. In Paint.net, I added color before removing the background. Then after cropping the image to a square, I rotated said image slightly, saved it as a separate image, then repeated the process until I had enough cells to make a rudimentary walking animation. I also in a similar manner, squashed and stretched the image to make a jumping animation, but this wasn't as good. Both were also made into GIF files to test the animation, which I later posted on Twitter. The cells for the walking animation I compiled into a sprite sheet using a Windows print program. With some trial and error, I got the animation to work in the engine, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the sprite to obey gravity and not fall through the floor. Nor could I get it to obey the commands from either the Saturn controller or the arrow keys. So suffice it to say the experiment was a failure. I meant to look into the matter further in order to find out what I needed to do to fix it, but I never did. So now months later, I decided to publish the main image here on Redbubble. It's definitely not my best work, but I figured: why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment